Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Pug Blasts Off (Diary of a Pug #1)

Diary of a Pug: Pug Blasts Off (Pug #1) Kyla May. 2019. Scholastic. 80 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Dear Diary, Baron Von Bubbles here. But everyone calls me Bub. Here are some things to know about me: I always dress to impress. I make many different faces: belly rub face, have to go out face, really have to go out face, face for Duchess. (She acts like she owns the place.) Face for Nutz. (He steals my stuff all the time.) Here are some of my favorite things: My skateboard. Bear. Peanut butter.

Premise/plot: Readers meet Bub and Bella in this first book in a new series published by Scholastic. Bella is super-excited to be participating in an inventing challenge competition. But inventing something new and exciting is tough work. Especially with Bub, Duchess, and a crazy squirrel running around. When Bella's first invention goes amiss, can Bub help save the day?!

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one. I did. I thought Bub was adorable. I was glad that there was also a cat in the series. The series is in a heavily illustrated notebook format. It makes for a quick and cutesy read. The art is bold, colorful, and CUTESY.

It is similar to the Owl Diaries series, in my opinion.

© 2019 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: