Wednesday, June 5, 2019

The Rabbit, The Dark, and the Cookie Tin

The Rabbit, the Dark, and the Cookie Tin. Nicola O'Byrne. 2019. Candlewick Press. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Once upon a time, there was a rabbit who didn't want to go to sleep. "Oh, no!" squeaked Rabbit when it started to get dark. "I'm not tired and I don't want to go to bed!" Then a bright idea popped into his head. "I don't want to go to bed," said Rabbit, "and if it doesn't get dark, I won't have to."

Premise/plot: Rabbit IS NOT tired. Rabbit IS NOT cranky. Rabbit IS clever, right?! I mean who else would think up a way to TRAP THE DARKNESS to put off bedtime?!?!

My thoughts: I really LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this story. It is a PROPER story. I love the play between Rabbit and the Dark--their dialogue/conversation. It's just a super-fun and delightful read. It probably isn't a bedtime story that will make your little ones sleepy. It probably is a story-time story that will make you LAUGH.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 10 out of 10

© 2019 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: