Tuesday, June 25, 2019

The Pawed Piper

The Pawed Piper. Michelle Robinson. Illustrated by Chinlun Lee. 2019. Candlewick Press. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: I wanted a cat to cuddle. A great big furry fluff ball, like the cat in my book.

Premise/plot: A little girl REALLY wants a cat of her own. She comes up with a plan that seems sure to work...
So I laid a trail. Balls of wool, ribbon...bowls of milk...tiny balls that jingled...and soft cushions. Now, what else do cats like?
But will her plan work? Will a cat turn up at her house, in her room? How many cats will she "catch" in her "trap"? What if ALL the cats in town come?!

My thoughts: One of my favorite books growing up was MILLIONS OF CATS. The Pawed Piper could easily be its successor. I found it to be a delightful read and one that I can't wait to share with the cat-lovers in my life.

The end papers do some foreshadowing on this one! Readers see dozens of LOST CAT posters on the opening end papers.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 9 out of 10 


© 2019 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: