Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Board book: Little Book About Colors

A Little Book About Colors (Leo Lionni's Friends). Leo Lionni. Jan Gerardi. 2019. Random House. 28 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Red a bright red balloon

Premise/plot: This board book is inspired by the work of Leo Lionni. As far as I can tell, Lionni did not actually write or illustrate any of the book. It is a concept book teaching colors. It stars Lionni's mice.

My thoughts: I liked this one fine. I think my favorite was GRAY. The accompanying sentence was just one little word: ME! There are only three marks of punctuation in the entire book--two exclamation points and one period. Part of me is annoyed that this board book lacks proper sentences. (I don't think little ones will care about that.)

Text: 3 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 7 out of 10

© 2019 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: