Thursday, June 6, 2019

Daddy-Sitting

Daddy-Sitting. Eve Coy. 2019. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: This is Daddy. Today I'm Daddy-sitting.

Premise/plot: A little girl spends a LOVELY day with her Dad.

My thoughts: It had me at hello. My love for this one started early with the END PAPERS. This lovable, adorable, show-stealing cat isn't the one and only reason I adored Eve Coy's Daddy-Sitting. Though spotting the cat on each spread to see what he/she is up to is oh-so-satisfying. (You don't need words to read this cat!)

I loved the relationship between parent and child. It was loving, sweet, tender.

I loved the celebration of the ordinary. This book celebrates the joys of daily family life--mess and all.

I loved reading between the lines. The text tells a definite story. But the illustrations hint at MORE. The narrative shows HER perspective of the day. The illustrations perhaps comes closer to an objective account.

I loved how full of life, full of action, full of IMAGINATION this one is.

I loved how relatable it is.

Also how quotable!
Daddy is very smart. I tell him he can do anything when he grows up. He could be a lion tamer or an astronaut. He could be a famous chocolate maker, or a detective on the case of the missing chocolates...or a nurse treating children who have eaten too much chocolate. 
It's just a joy to read.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 10 out of 10


© 2019 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: