Thursday, March 14, 2019

Square

Square. (Shapes Trilogy #2) Mac Barnett. Illustrated by Jon Klassen. 2018. 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: This is Square. This is Square's secret cave. Every day, Square goes down into his cave and takes a block from the pile below the ground.

Premise/plot: Square is enjoying life until a visit from Circle has him start doubting everything. Circle sees his blocks as perfect sculptures and asks Square to do a sculpture of her. Square is stumped. He's no artist. And he hasn't a clue how to shape a square block into a circle. Can he find a way to please Circle?

My thoughts: I really enjoyed this one. I think it may be my favorite of the three books in the series. I have now read all three books--though not Triangle recently. I think with each new book I read by Barnett or Klassen I become more accustomed to the quirky humor.

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 7 out of 10

© 2019 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: