Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Board book: Little Fish and Mommy

Little Fish and Mommy. Lucy Cousins. 2019. Candlewick Press. 22 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Hello! I am Little Fish, swimming in the sea. Today we have a special day--just Mommy Fish and me!

Premise/plot: Little Fish and Mommy is a rhyming board book. Little Fish has appeared in other books--namely Hooray for Fish. This book celebrates the relationship between parent and child.

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one. I really liked Hooray for Fish and am glad to see Mommy Fish and Little Fish in another book. (There are other books as well: I Am Little Fish! Where Is Little Fish? and Count with Little Fish.) I like the characters. Though rhyming books can be tricky--not every writer truly grasps the importance of rhythm--this one was well-written.
We play a game together.
First Mommy shuts her eyes.
I hide behind the seaweed,
then swim right out.
Surprise!

© 2019 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: