Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Circle

Circle. (Shapes Trilogy #3) Mac Barnett. Illustrated by Jon Klassen. 2019. Candlewick Press. 48 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: This is Circle. This is Circle's waterfall. One day, Circle and Square and Triangle played a game near her waterfall. "Here are the rules," Circle said.

Premise/plot: What will happen when one of her friends breaks a rule while they're all playing a game?!

My thoughts: For those that have read and loved this duo's previous work--Triangle (2017) and Square (2018), this one is worth seeking out. Triangle, Square, and Circle are a trilogy. So if you love the odd and quirky nature of the previous books, you'll probably love it in Circle as well. If you weren't a big fan of the previous books--if they weren't quite your cup of tea--Circle may not suit your taste either. Picture books are after all super subjective.

I liked Circle. I really did. I didn't love, love, love it perhaps. But I found the story enjoyable.

I remember not quite liking Triangle. And though I was confident that I'd read and reviewed Square....apparently I never did.

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 7 out of 10


© 2019 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: