Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Life With My Family

Life with My Family. Renee Hooker and Karl Jones. Illustrated by Kathryn Hurst. 2018. Penguin. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Life with my family is not always easy. So sometimes I wonder what else we could be... As a pod of pelicans, we'd soar above trees. No time to fight as a busy swarm of bees.

Premise/plot: A young girl imagines what her family life would be like if they were animals instead of humans. Essentially this is a creative way of showcasing collective nouns: pod of pelicans, school of fish, pride of lions, wisdom of wombats, etc. The author's note includes at least a dozen more examples.

My thoughts: I liked this one. I did. I didn't love, love, love the illustrations. However, I liked how characteristics or traits of the human family carried over to their animal family counterparts. For example, the baby is always, always, always shown with a pacifier no matter if he's a fish, a buffalo, or a lion. The illustrations also had a good amount of details. For example, on the last spread there are LEGO bricks all over the kitchen floor.

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 7 out of 10

© 2018 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: