Thursday, March 29, 2018

Board book: I Love You Honey Bunny

Board book: I Love You, Honey Bunny. Sandra Magsamen. 2013. Scholastic. 14 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: You're sweeter than the sweetest little honeybee. You fill the world with love--you're amazing to me. I love the way you hope, skip, and jump up and down.

Premise/plot: I Love You Honey Bunny is a novelty board book featuring plush bunny ears. The ears might be a big hit for little hands--and little mouths. The text is simple and super-super-super-sweet. "Adorable" comes to mind.

My thoughts: It's a novelty book. It will either appeal--or not. It's not fantastic, wonderful literature. (Nor is it bad literature.) But reading with little ones is super-important no matter the book. Sharing a book--sharing the experience is great for parents and for little ones. And here's the thing--adults don't always get a say in which book will become a FAVORITE, beloved book. Sometimes the books that adults give the least credit to are the ones that become again-again favorites--with seemingly no rhyme or reason. SERIOUSLY THAT BOOK?! And sometimes books that adults love, love, love and buy hoping that it will be a big hit are big duds. I do believe every book has a right reader that will love and adore it.
 

© 2018 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: