Thursday, August 10, 2017

Board book: I Dare You Not To Yawn

I Dare You Not to Yawn. Helene Boudreau. Illustrated by Serge Bloch. 2017. Candlewick Press. 28 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Yawns are sneaky. They can creep up on you when you least expect them. There you are, minding your own business, building the tallest block tower in the history of the universe or dressing up the cat when suddenly...

Premise/plot: A boy warns little ones of the dangers of yawning. Yawns lead to being sent to put on pajamas, pajamas lead to being read to, being read to leads to being sung to, being sung to leads to being hugged and kissed, and...
Before you know it, you're tucked into bed, snug as a bug, and wondering..."How did I get here?"
My thoughts: Our little hero tries his best NOT to yawn as he warns others of the dangers of yawning. How did I like this one? I definitely liked it. It made me yawn--in the middle of the day. I think it's a funny story that isn't your typical bedtime story. In fact, the boy almost stereotypes all of the traditional stories. 


© 2017 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: