Thursday, February 19, 2009

My Dance Recital


Cocca-Leffler, Maryann. 2009. My Dance Recital: With Pop-ups, lift-the-flaps, pull-tabs and more! Random House.

I enjoyed this girly-girl novelty book. I loved the details; the intricate details that make this one special. Two girls--two sisters--are preparing for the dance recital. One sister will perform a jazz dance piece. The second sister performs ballet. There is an interactive touch (or two, or three) on every single page. Something that moves, lifts, slides, pops, etc. For example, on the opening spread, we've got one of the girls--the ballerina sister--getting her hair and make-up done. The reader turns a wheel to get the different faces--there is her ordinary one, her beginning one that is, one of the faces will show her with curlers in her hair, one will show her with her hair up, the last one shows her with her hair up and complete with tiara. This is a seemingly small detail, but one that is cute and at least to me unexpected. I liked it.

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: