Friday, July 10, 2009

The Grumpy Dump Truck


Spangler, Brie. 2009. The Grumpy Dump Truck. Random House.

Bertrand is a dump truck that is perpetually grumpy. He's got one bad attitude. Is there anything his friends can do to help him get over his case of the grumps? One little porcupine named Tilly is willing to give it her best try.

I'll just be honest. I didn't like this one. I don't expect my picture books to be thoroughly realistic by any means. So it isn't the fact that trucks have personalities and talk. It's the fact that I can't believe--even in the cartoon world--the explanation that Tilly reveals to be the cause of Bertrand's grumpiness. Of course, I hope that some readers out there will like this one. And if you do like it, then that's great. But I just couldn't get into this one.

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: