Tuesday, December 26, 2023

340. The 13-Story Treehouse


The 13-Story Treehouse: Monkey Mayhem! Andy Griffiths. Illustrated by Terry Denton. 2011. 256 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: Hi, my name is Andy. This is my friend Terry. We live in a tree.

Premise/plot: Andy and Terry live in a treehouse--a LARGE treehouse at that. They write books together. They are past due for their current book, oh no! And they are having trouble concentrating on their work, their project. They keep getting distracted by MANY things (many monkey related, though somehow sea monsters also make an appearance). Will they ever finish their book? And if they do finish their book will children like you read it?

My thoughts: Very meta. I think this one may have kid appeal. I am NOT the target audience. The humor, in my opinion, is very age-specific. There's a target age group--or humor/maturity phase--that this one was written for directly. Granted humor is always subjective. It is the first in a series. 

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: