Saturday, December 16, 2023

327-330. Stack of Board Books


327. Let's Go, Construction Trucks (Spin Me). Scholastic. 2019. 12 pages. [Source: Review copy] [Board books]

First sentence: I move dirt from place to place. I can clear out any space! I am a dump truck. Make my wheels spin. Let construction begin! 
My round roller has no grooves. I make sure the roads are smooth! I am a steamroller. Make my wheels spin. Let construction begin!

Premise/plot: A [mostly] rhyming construction-themed book for young(er) readers. This one has the repetitive refrain: Make my wheels spin. Let construction begin! 

My thoughts: I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the interactive element in this one. Will every young child? Maybe. Maybe not. But if your little one does happen to think it is the greatest thing ever, then the catchy narrative is a bonus. 

I found the interactive element mesmerizing (in a good way, I think). Definitely recommended.

ETA: A few reviewers have pointed out that one truck is mislabeled/misidentified in the story. 


328.  101 Trucks: And Other Mighty Things That Go. April Jones Prince. Illustrated by Bob Kolar. 2019. 14 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Every day, trucks work hard to make our lives faster, easier, and safer!

Premise/plot: This one works for a slightly older audience. It has a main narrative, but it also labels a hundred plus trucks and, in a way, organizes information for young readers. 

My thoughts: This is one of those books that grow with your little one. It does have a main narrative. If time is tight or your little one has a smaller attention span, then one can stick to the main text. If you have more time, or if your little one is CURIOUS and full of questions, one can interact with the smaller pictures and text. One could certainly interact with the text. Parents asking questions for little ones and vice versa. For example, "can you find the truck with the hotdog on it?" or "do you think it would be fun to ride a tram?" The illustrations are definitely on the busier side.


329. Vehicles ABC. Jannie Ho. 2018. 28 pages. [Source: Review copy] 

First sentence: Aa ambulance
Bb bulldozer
Cc carriage
Dd digger
Ee electric car
Ff fire engine
Gg galleon

Premise/plot: A vehicle/transportation themed alphabet concept books for little ones. The illustrations may not be super-realistic, but overall it's not bad.

My thoughts: I like this one. As with all alphabet books there are some odd choices that are made with harder letters, but what are you going to do? That's the nature of alphabet books. 


330. The Goodnight Train Rolls On. June Sobel. Illustrated by Laura Huliska-Beith. 2018/2019. 28 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Stars are twinkling. Moon shines bright. The Goodnight Train chugs through the night. Dream dust lands on sleepy heads. The porter smiles and fluffs the beds.

Premise/plot: This one is a sequel or companion book. There are multiple books in the Goodnight Train series.

My thoughts: It has been a while since I read The Goodnight Train (original) and Santa and the Goodnight Train (a sequel). I rated both books three stars. 

For little ones that love, love, love the previous books in the series, this one might prove quite the treat. I know that trains can be fascinating for young ones and that some never really outgrow their love of trains. (Others do.) This one is written in rhyme. 

The text is silly, but the illustrations are even sillier perhaps.

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: