Sunday, December 17, 2023

331-338. Another Board Book Stack


331. This Little Piggy (Let's Count to 10) Jarvis. 2019. 22 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: One little piggy went to market. Two little piggies had a car but couldn't park it. Three little piggies learned how to knit. Four little piggies did their best to keep fit. Five little piggies played the bongos.

Premise/plot: A counting concept board book for little ones starring pigs. The text gets sillier and sillier with every turn of the page. 

My thoughts: I really LOVED this one. I thought it was silly and funny. I really loved the rhyme that went with the number nine. 

Not all counting books are funny. All may help teach little ones to count to ten. But not all are packed with piggy humor.


332. Picken. Mary Murphy. 2019. 12 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Mix and match the farm animals. 

Premise/plot: This is an interactive board book for parents to share with little ones. It has a unique format. One can open up the pages simultaneously and have all the animals be matched perfectly. OR one can mix and match all the farm animals. One can choose to be "proper" or "whimsical."

My thoughts: Will this one be appealing to every parent? Maybe. Maybe not. Same with little ones, of course. One can't really predict how other little ones will react--what they will find amusing. This one has the potential for some laughs. But no guarantees. I can imagine a scenario where parents and young readers can have a lot of fun. For example, what noise do you think a picken (cross between a chicken and a pig) would make?


333. We Love the Farm (Two Books in One) Rachael Saunders. 2019. 12 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence from big book: Who says MOO, MOO?
First sentence from little book: cow

Premise/plot: This board book has a unique format to it. "Two" books in one. The two books obviously go together. The big book asks a question, the little one supplies the answer. There are vocabulary words sprinkled on all the pages. Plenty to point out to your little one. 

My thoughts: This one is cute. It is fun to flip through the little book. I won't lie. One could even add a little humor to story time--if you so desire. One could flip to the wrong answer. And you could be "corrected" by your little one. Does a chicken go moo? NO! This one definitely has potential.


334. We Love Animals (Two Books In One) Lo Cole. 2019. 12 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence of the big book? Who lives on the plains?
First sentence of the little book? lion

Premise/plot: This board book has a unique format to it. "Two" books in one. The two books obviously go together. The big book asks a question, the little one supplies an answer. Each spread shows other animals that also live in the region/type of region. There is more than one right answer. But the little book reveals an animal not on the other spread.

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one. I liked it. I thought it was cute. Definitely potential for parents and little ones to interact with each other. It is fun to turn the pages of the little book. One could definitely read this book straightforward. Or one could add a little to it. For example? "Who lives in the sea? Does a camel live in the sea? No. Does an owl live in the sea? No. Does a dolphin live in the sea? YES!"

This one would pair well with Baby Einstein's Baby Noah. Just saying.


335. I Thought I Saw an Elephant. Lydia Nichols. 10 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: I thought I saw an elephant? Is it behind the ice cream shop?
I thought I saw an elephant? Is it in the pond?

Premise/plot: A child "sees" an elephant EVERYWHERE, but can you find the elephant too?

My thoughts: I wanted to absolutely love, love, love this one. I love elephants. I like interactive books with sliders. I do like this one. I do. I just don't love it. I thought perhaps it would go in a different direction. But if your little one is up for a game of hide and seek -- or slide and seek -- with an elephant, there's one to be found on every page.


336. I Thought I Saw A Bear. Lydia Nichols. 10 Pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: I thought I saw a bear. Is it in the car? I thought I saw a bear? Is it on the boat?

Premise/plot: A child "sees" a bear everywhere. 

My thoughts: I am SO conflicted. On the one hand, the illustrations are so adorable and fun. The sliders are super cute, fun to manipulate, silly. On the other hand, there is no fun in the seeking when they aren't hidden in the first place. I overthink things. It's what I do. The bear couldn't be more obvious either way the slider is slid. There's no question or doubt...and while it's fun to play with the slides...not sure this one has a point.


337. Colors with Little Fish. Lucy Cousins. 2019. 24 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: I am Little Fish, swimming in the sea. I love spotting colors. Can you spot with me?

Premise/plot: This concept book--concept being colors--stars Little Fish. Little Fish has his own series of books. (Random thought: did he ever got his own television show like Maisy? And if not, why not?)

My thoughts: I like Little Fish. It's been a long while since I've read and reviewed any books starring Little Fish. And to be honest, I haven't been reviewing many Maisy books lately either. This one is nice. It would work as an introduction to the much longer series. Or it would be good if your little one already loves Little Fish.


338. Our Little Love Bug. Sandra Magsamen. 2007/2018. 10 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Your smile is so sweet, it makes our days. You brighten our world in so many ways. You fill our lives with lots of love.

Premise/plot: This board book for the very young features felt on every spread. The message is syrupy sweet. That could be a VERY good thing--depending on your mood. The text is super simple, predictably sweet. The illustrations are bright....and there's felt.

My thoughts: I'm conflicted between thinking this would be great for the youngest of the young because of the simplicity of the book and it's super-sweet (though not terribly exciting narrative). In some ways, this one screams out bedtime book. But then there's the felt. Is it meant to be interactive? Is it meant for an audience that is old enough to be manipulating it, experiencing the different tactiles?

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: