Friday, August 18, 2023

224-227. Some Early Chapter Books


224. Fox Has a Problem. Corey R. Tabor. 2023. 32 pages. [Source: Library] [early reader] 

First sentence: Fox has a problem. It is not a new problem. But Fox has an idea. A big idea. 

Premise/plot: Fox's problem changes throughout this new early reader by Corey R. Tabor. His problem? His kite--one of many kites--is stuck in a tree. A problem sure enough, but is his solution a true solution? Maybe. Maybe not. Is Fox smart enough to find a true solution? Maybe. Maybe not. But with a little help from his friends, all of his problems might find solutions...

My thoughts: I laughed out loud. I'm not lying. I laughed so hard when reading this one. It was such a DELIGHT. There are more in the series that I am excited to read now. I loved, loved, loved it.



225. Mindy Kim and the Summer Musical. Lyla Lee. Illustrated by Dung Ho. 2023. [July] 96 pages. [Source: Library] [early chapter book; series book]

First sentence: My name is Mindy Kim. It's finally summer, and my best friend, Sally, and I have really fun plans.

I've read the first book and the ninth book--none of the books in between. I normally don't read books out of sequence, but, I was intrigued with the 'summer musical' story. I love, love, love musicals. And this one is Cinderella--one of my favorites.

Mindy Kim, our heroine, is trying out for the summer musical (it is a children's production). The book shows her life at home and 'on set.' Plenty going on behind the scenes as well, and not just about the musical itself. 

I may have enjoyed this one even more if I was familiar with all of the characters--family, friends, etc. But I enjoyed plenty. I would recommend this series.


226. Bad Luck Lola (Hola, Lola) Keka Novales. Illustrated by Gloria Felix. 2022. 64 pages. [Source: Library] [early chapter book]

First sentence: The delicious smell of bacon and waffles woke me up in the morning. I knew what that meant--Sunday!

Premise/plot: Lola breaks a mirror her grandmother gave her. She's convinced for almost the entire book that bad luck is coming and is already starting to ruin everything.

MY thoughts: I wanted to like this one because of the Texas setting. But her superstitious woes irritated me so much. I wish I'd started with any other book in the series but this one.


227. Dance of the Feather (Hola, Lola) Keka Novales. Illustrated by Gloria Felix. 2022. 64 pages. [Source: Library] [early chapter book]

First sentence: Happy birthday to you.

Premise/plot: Lola is given tickets to the ballet for her birthday (by her grandparents). Lola then has a sudden desire to dance, dance, dance. But when she doesn't immediately--a few lessons in--get a big role in Swan Lake (like why is she in the production at all???) she finds a way to be cheerful as a chicken.

My thoughts: This book irritated me too. I don't understand how someone who has only taken a few lessons, at best, and mid-course at that. (Just randomly showing up to ballet class and joining in) has been given any part no matter how small. There's a LOT of time between dance class number one and recital number one. And this isn't even a recital, but a production of a ballet--Swan Lake. I do have a tendency to overthink things.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: