Saturday, August 12, 2023

216. See the Ghost


See the Ghost: Three Stories about Things You Cannot See. David LaRochelle. Illustrated by Mike Wohnoutka. 2023. 64 pages. [Source: Library] [early chapter book] [early reader]

 First sentence: See the ghost.

Premise/plot: This is the third book in the series. The first two are See the Cat and See the Dog. All the books have the narrator speaking directly to the characters and directing the story. The characters interact with the narrator and amuse the audience--usually. The first story is about a ghost (invisible to readers and characters). The second story is about the wind (again invisible to readers and characters). The third story is about a fairy (again invisible to readers and characters). Though some characters are invisible, plenty of action happens.

My thoughts: I don't love, love, love this one as much as the first two books. The first two books are super-special to me. I just love and adore them. I do care about the characters. This one, like the first two, offer plenty of giggles and laughs. I still "really like" this one. I'm reminded that even books I merely "really like" can sound like gushing when I'm in the right mood. I do recommend all three books. 

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: