Thursday, August 3, 2023

205. Hope In the Valley


Hope In the Valley. Mitali Perkins. 2023. 304 pages. [Source: Library] [J Fiction; MG Fiction; everybody-fiction, "historical" fiction, realistic fiction]

First sentence:  Our front porch is a mess. Stepping around a discarded skateboard and a rusty tricycle, I avoid a couple of splintery wooden chairs and make my way down the steps. As I cross the street to the old Johnson place, I move slowly, casually, in case eyes are tracking me. The riskiest part of this escape is ducking behind the overgrown oleander bushes. But I'm careful as always. There. Now I'm hidden.

Premise/plot: Hope in the Valley is set in the early 1980s, I believe, in California. Pandita Paul, the protagonist, is going to be an eighth grader in the fall. And she doesn't like change--not this change nor any other, not really. Perhaps because she's already experienced one of the biggest changes she could face--the death of her mother. (And it happened on vacation, when they were visiting her grandparents in India). She is holding onto every single memory, every single moment. She has a BIG secret that her and her mother held. The abandoned mansion across the street is their favorite "quiet" place. In particular the porch swing on the porch. There's a cushion where they hid letters, notes, pictures. This is her "safe place" mentally and emotionally. But soon after her birthday (or perhaps on her birthday), she learns that it is soon to be demolished and sold. She's crushed, angered, scared. Can she find a way to save the past? 

Of course, that's only ONE of a handful of story threads in the novel...

My thoughts: I absolutely ADORE this one so much. I loved the main character. I loved getting to know her older sisters. I loved meeting her friends--not all of them her own age. I loved the characters, the relationships, the stories. I loved the inclusion of drama camp and SOUND OF MUSIC. It is just a fantastic coming of age story.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: