Tuesday, August 8, 2023

212-215. Picture Book Parade


212. When Rubin Plays. Gracey Zhang. 2023. 56 pages. [Source: Library] [picture book; music appreciation; cats]

First sentence: In a small town by a big forest, there was a little orchestra...a little orchestra that played beautiful sounds. Rubin loved these sounds. They drifted around him and lifted him up, warm and light. Rubin felt like flying. 

Premise/plot: Rubin LOVES, LOVES, LOVES music. He finds it incredibly emotionally moving. He wants to learn to play the violin. But he needs practice. Lots and lots of practice. The sounds the violin makes when he plays it...well...less than ideal...for a human audience. But he plays to a VERY appreciative audience of cats. When it is time to perform for humans, well, the kitties may just crash the party to the delight of all.

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one! I liked the story and the art. I absolutely loved the color palette of the illustrations. Absolutely beautiful! I was so happy to see all the kitties!!! 


213. Luli and the Language of Tea. Andrea Wang. Illustrated by Hyewon Yum. 2022. 40 pages. [Source: Library] [picture book]

First sentence: The playroom was quiet. Luli couldn't speak English. Neither could the others. All around the room, children played alone. Last time, Luli had played by herself too, until she had an idea. 

Premise/plot: The setting for this new picture book is the free childcare at a place offering English as a Second Language lessons for adults. Luli, the protagonist, has the idea to make friends and bring them closer together by offering tea--“Chá!”

All of the other kids recognize this word and are delighted to join her because of the similarities between many, many languages for tea.  

My thoughts: I liked this one. I had never thought of tea as a universal language before, but, it makes sense once you read the book and the back matter. I also don't necessarily link tea--actual tea--with children. But I think this depends completely and totally on one's culture. The book celebrates diverse cultures and SHARING. 


214. I Cannot Draw A Bicycle. Charise Mericle Harper. 2023. 48 pages. [Source: Library] [picture book]

First sentence: This is my shape. My shape can make a lot of things. I can draw a cat. I can draw a skateboard. I can draw a horse. 

Premise/plot: Cat and Horse star in this silly picture book. Horse wants the book to draw a bicycle. The book can't having never seen one. Horse doesn't seem to have a clue how to draw a bicycle either. The book tries...and tries...and fails.The end.

My thoughts: I want my time back. I'm sure this book will find readers who are happy to have read it. There will probably be at least a few who will giggle at the silly antics. But for me personally, this was odd and strange in a way that didn't quite work. I'm not really sure why "the book" is an invisible entity interacting with the characters. When I first read it, I thought it was a dialogue between Cat and Horse. I didn't "get" that Book was also a character. I still don't get *why* that is. I found it unfunny the first time. But a puzzler the second time. 


215. YOU Can't Be a Pterodactyl! James Breakwell. Illustrated by Sophie Corrigan. 2023. 32 pages. [Source: Library] [picture book]

First sentence: "You can be anything you want to be," the teacher said to the class.

Premise/plot: Did the teacher mean what she said? If she did, why did she and ALL the students in the class make fun of Tommy (the protagonist) for saying he was going to be a pterodactyl when he grew up???? The book essentially explores why he wants to be a pterodactyl when he grows up. His dad is supportive of his imagination and even joins in. 

My thoughts: This book makes no sense at the end. It has a twist ending. But I can't unpack what it means. Perhaps because I'm too literal, too stuck in my ways. It's impossible for a boy to grow up to be a pterodactyl. 

The book is silly but I'm not sure if there is a hidden message there. 

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: