Friday, August 4, 2023

206-209. Picture Book Parade


 206. Simon and the Better Bone. Corey R. Tabor. 2023. 40 pages. [Source: Library] [Picture book; animal fantasy; dogs; humor]

First sentence: Simon was out playing by the pond when he found a bone. If there was a better bone in all the world, Simon hadn't seen it. But then he spotted something in the pond. It was another bone. A better bone. There was a dog holding the bone. But it was a scrawny little dog. Certainly no match for Simon.

Premise/plot: Simon is a LOVABLE dog who though he has a bone wants a BETTER bone that the pond-dog has or seems to have. Will Simon convince the pond-dog to trade bones? Will Simon be left with any bones by the end of the book?

My thoughts: I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this sweet, humorous picture book. Simon was incredibly lovable--and silly. Readers will inevitably be a bit brighter than Simon which makes for some amusement. I love the way this one ends. 

This one reads differently than most books--literally--in how the pages are turned. I thought this was fun. 

I think this would be a great read aloud for parents, of course, but also for libraries. (I'd say pre-K and Kindergarten could join in on the fun. Not sure if it would work for older grades. Though to be honest, I think readers of all ages could enjoy this one.) 

 


207. How To Talk Like a Bear. Charlie Grandy. Illustrated by Alex G. Griffiths. 2023. 32 pages. [Source: Library] [picture book; animal fantasy; bears; humor]

First sentence: I am going to teach you how to talk like a bear. 

Premise/plot: Best case scenario this is an INTERACTIVE read that kids can join in on. It is written directly to readers. The star of the show, a bear, is going to teach YOU the reader how to talk like a bear. There are several lessons. There are some mishaps along the way, no one gets it right the first time, which could lead to some giggles.

My thoughts: This was SO MUCH FUN. I think this could easily be one to read again-again-again-again. I wouldn't be surprised if it encourages kids--especially younger kids--to try talking like a bear outside the context of reader participation while listening to this one. It's just so much fun, so super-silly. 

I would definitely recommend this one. Again, I think it would work in homes, libraries, and younger elementary grades. 


208. Fox Forgets (Goose and Bear Stories) Suzanne Bloom. 2013/2023. 32 pages. [Source: Library] [picture book; animal fantasy]

First sentence: I have to go. But I'll be right back.

Premise/plot: Fox forgets to tell Bear that Goose has gone...but will be right back. Bear and Fox spend the book looking for Goose. 

My thoughts: I do like some of the books in this series. This wasn't one that I loved...or even enjoyed. But if your little one loves these characters, this one isn't bad. It's just not absolutely wonderful.

I absolutely DO love the illustrations.


209. Bear Can Dance! (Goose and Bear Stories). Suzanne Bloom. 2015/2023. 32 pages. [Source: Library] [Picture book; animal fantasy]

First sentence: I wish I could fly.

Premise/plot: Bear REALLY wants to fly. He spends most of the book wishing to fly and trying to fly. By the end of the book, he learns that while he cannot fly he has learned to dance....and dancing is almost like flying. 

My thoughts: I definitely enjoyed Bear Can Dance more than Fox Forgets! I love the illustrations so much. A good reminder of why I enjoy this series by Suzanne Bloom. Both books are newly reprinted/republished.

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: