Wednesday, December 28, 2022

213. Surely Surely Marisol Rainey


Surely Surely Marisol Rainey. Erin Entrada Kelly. 2022. 160 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Marisol Rainey keeps a list in her head. She calls it her List of Favorites. Her best friend, Jada George, has a list, too. Marisol and Jada like to compare their lists because it's interesting to see all the ways they are the same and all the ways they are different. 

Premise/plot: Surely Surely Marisol Rainey is the second in the series. Marisol is still Marisol. [I love her so much!] In this one, she's working on tolerating sports. I guess that might be how you could describe it. 

My thoughts: I really love, love, love Marisol, I do. She's a fabulous character. I'd also have added gym class to my list of least favorite things. But, for me, feeling the way I do about sports, I just couldn't really connect the way I wanted to with this book. It was too much sports. And even knowing that Marisol herself didn't naturally like let alone love sports didn't really help overall. I wanted to love this second book just as much. But I'd almost rather the author tackled Marisol's dislike of radishes instead.

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: