Monday, December 12, 2022

208. The Sour Grape


The Sour Grape. Jory John. Illustrated by Pete Oswald. 2022. [November] 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: I'm a grape. A sour grape. Grrrr! If somebody upsets me, I'll remember it. If somebody wrongs me, I won't forget it. If somebody ignores me, I'll never ignore it. Nope.

Premise/plot: Sour Grape wasn't always a sour grape. Sour Grape used to be a sweet grape. When his birthday party disappoints [greatly], our young protagonist grows SOUR as his bitterness and anger fester. Will Sour Grape always be so SOUR and disagreeable? 

My thoughts: I really liked this one. Jory John's series can be hit or miss for me. Some I like. Some not as much. This one I thought was super relatable. Emotions AND relationships can be overwhelming--especially when you're young. This one was a cute story. I really loved seeing his grandparents [raisins].

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: