Tuesday, September 21, 2021

149. I Survived the Galveston Hurricane, 1900


I Survived the Galveston Hurricane, 1900. (I Survived #21) Lauren Tarshis. 2021. [September] 144 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Noooooooo! A powerful blast of wind grabbed hold of eleven-year-old Charlie Miller and threw him into the raging flood.

Premise/plot: This title is the newest in Lauren Tarshis' ever-popular I Survived Series. Charlie Miller lives with his family on Galveston Island. He loves his family, loves learning magic, HATES being bullied. (Gordon Potts is one reason why he's not looking forward to starting school again.) But life on the island is about to go topsy-turvy.

My thoughts: I have read a couple of adult titles on the Galveston Hurricane of 1900. I have found them fascinating, disturbing, compelling. While the complexities of the story are tamed down considerably for this children's book, it is still a good read. The majority opinion on the island at that time--and in at least some "scientific" circles was that a hurricane could not happen there. That Galveston was safe--as is. That no evacuation would be necessary. It sounds so silly, so presumptuous with hindsight, doesn't it?!?!

I liked this addition to the series.

© 2021 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: