Monday, September 6, 2021

136. The Becket List


The Becket List: A Blackberry Farm Story. Adele Griffin. 2019. 208 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Today we're moving to Blackberry Farm. My parents are taking over the Old Post Road Animal Clinic, and we'll all help Gran run Branch's Farm Store.

Premise/plot: The Branch family is moving. Caroline, the oldest, is sad to be leaving her best, best friend. Nicolas, Rebecca's twin brother, is anxious and hesitant. And Rebecca, our hero, well she's super excited and adopted a new nickname: Becket. She is making (and making as she goes) a bucket list of everything a *real* country girl would do and doing it. The summer is full of changes...some great...some not so great. But it's packed with adventures and misadventures for the whole family.

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one. I liked the writing. I loved the illustrations by LeUyen Pham. She's one of my favorite, favorite illustrators. The pace of the story is good.


I would just remind readers to be careful and OBSERVE the cover. NOTICE the dog on the cover. Question if you should read a book with a dog on the cover. Look for reviews (like this one) that may contain advice about reading books with dogs on the cover. Look for SPOILERS that alert you if the book is safe or not safe to read BECAUSE OF THE DOG ON THE COVER. Don't be like me and go in unprepared....

In other words....THIS BOOK IS NOT AT ALL SAFE FOR THOSE AVOIDING BOOKS WHERE DOGS DIE.

Quotes:

  • But I know Gran likes loud truth more than soft politeness. That's why we get along.
  • In the beginning, I figured if I did ten things that I hadn't ever done, it would make me into a real country kid. But this summer didn't follow my list. I never knew what I needed to learn next.


© 2021 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: