Thursday, July 29, 2021

92. Wuthering Heights (Easy Classics)


Wuthering Heights. Stephanie Baudet. 2021. [July] 96 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: It was a mistake to walk the four miles across the moor to Wuthering Heights.

Premise/plot: Stephanie Baudet has adapted Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights into an illustrated chapter book. The jacket copy reads, "adapted and illustrated for children aged 7+".

Wuthering Heights is a classic told within a framework. The same is true of the adaptation.

My thoughts: Hate is a strong word. And it's not a kid-friendly word. I know a few households where the word 'hate' is a "bad word" and not allowed. Yet. I hated Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights. I have reread it once? maybe twice? Nope. Nope. Still nope. I see nothing beautiful, romantic, redeeming in its dark pages. 

Yet now and then a summary of Wuthering Heights proves useful. I didn't like the actual story/storytelling of the original novel. But I liked this summary of the original story well enough. (Did that make any sense???)

I would recommend it for adults that want a refresher course on the book. Perhaps before deciding if they want to read or reread the original. I don't think this is a story that is appealing or appropriate for children.
 

© 2021 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: