Wednesday, July 28, 2021

90. Fox & Rabbit


Fox and Rabbit (Fox & Rabbit #1) Beth Ferry. Illustrated by Gergely Dudas. 2020. [April] 96 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence:

Fox: I see a whale.
Rabbit: Me too.
Fox: I see a carrot.
Rabbit: Me too.
Fox: Now I see a crab.
Rabbit: Me too.
Fox: I just made that up. I didn't really see a crab. Stop copying me.
Rabbit: I wasn't copying you. I was just being nice.
Fox: Humph.


Premise/plot: Fox and Rabbit are best friends who star in Beth Ferry's graphic novel for young readers. There are five stories in this early chapter/graphic novel:

  • Fair, Fireworks & Fred
  • Sand, Swimming & Sunset
  • Surprises, Swamps & Seeds
  • Gardening, Growing & Groaning
  • Squeeze, Sweet & Sour

Each story gently leads to the next. The first story starts off with some cloud gazing, one cloud reminds them of COTTON CANDY which leads them to notice the fair that just happens to be close by. The two have a day of it--enjoying themselves more often than not. But the pair can't help noticing the fair is the UN-FAIR fair. It isn't easy to WIN a game and get a prize. FRED (who will go on to star alongside Fox and Rabbit on all their subsequent adventures) is a stuffed lion that is eventually won by the end of the day. A beach ball is another prize...

The second story occurs at a beach. Remember the two just won a beach ball! Fox and Rabbit share another day of fun--mostly. Sometimes a friend has to coax the other along a bit. In this case, Fox has to coax Rabbit into the water.

Rabbit: I feel a crab!
Fox: There are no crabs.
Rabbit: I see a whale!
Fox: There are no whales.
Rabbit: I hear a shark!
Fox: How can you hear a shark?
Rabbit: It's a singing shark.
Fox: There's no such thing. That's just Sparrow fighting with some sea gulls.


At the end of a very long day, they discover a message in a bottle...

The third story is the adventure of following a treasure map to Surprise Island....this time the two are doing a friendly bicker about whether it will be a good surprise or a bad surprise (bad surprises are zingers.)

The fourth story is about the two planting the seeds that were the surprise on surprise island. This story actually has a bit of a surprise at the very end....poor Rabbit!

The fifth and final story (in this collection) features a seedling. Turns out that one of the seeds planted is a LEMON. And when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade for a lemonade stand naturally!

My thoughts: I love, love, love, love, love Fox and Rabbit. A few weeks ago I reviewed the second book in the series. I thought it was adorable and practically perfect in every way. This first book did not disappoint. I am excited to read the third book of the series soon--it is newly published.

I love the humor. I love the friendship. I love the give and take between two friends who are close to one another. I love how they each make the other a better person. I love the dialogue. I love the illustrations.

© 2021 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: