Thursday, July 15, 2021

77. The Kitnapped Creature


The Kitnapped Creature (Jack Russell Dog Detective #8) Darrel and Sally Odgers. 2008. 80 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: It was past breakfast time, and my food bowl was empty. I was about to leap out of my basket and assess the situation when I remembered something pawfully important. I was sharing my basket with someone else.

Premise/plot: Jack Russell is now living with his sprat, Preacher. He is teaching his son not only how to dog but how to detect. And there is a case to solve in this one, of course, the Awful Pawful is back in town and has been KIDNAPPED. Jack witnessed this himself. But can he get help (human help) in time to 'save' this unfriendly cat?

My thoughts: I loved, loved, loved The Kitnapped Creature. I love the narrative style. The writing is just super fun.

I was doing what dogs do when I heard a squeak. Next came a whine. The whine quickly grew to a yelp, and then to a screech.
Preacher was awake.
That's my boy! I thought. I was as quiet as a Jack could be, but he detected the Jack-gap when I left the basket. I was proud of him.
I trotted back and stuck my nose under the blanket. The screeching stopped.
"You left me!" yipped Preacher
"I had to do what dogs do before breakfast," I explained. "You should do it too."
Preacher peered over the edge of the basket. "I can't get out."
"Of paws you can," I said.
"I can't. I can't I --"
I pushed my nose under his fat tummy and flipped him out of the basket.
"Come on," I said. "No puddles in bed."
Preacher picked himself up. "You flipped me."
I bustled Preacher down the steps. (2-3)

Preacher is a lot like Jack--though he's still got a LOT to learn about life. He makes nose maps just like Jack. Well not quite like Jack. Here's one of his nose maps:

Preacher's map:
1. Sleepy place.
2. Dad's toy.
3. Dad's eatie.
4. My eatie.
5. Ouchie-claw creature.
6. My chewie thing.
7. Snappy Snarly thing.

I was proud of him, but I had to explain that Jacks don't have toys. (7)

 

© 2021 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: