Monday, July 27, 2020

80. Giant in the Garden

Giant in the Garden. (Time Spies #3) Candice Ransom. 2007. 128 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Alex gazed out the window of the Keeping Room. Not even a leaf fluttered. It seemed as if the whole world had stopped.

Premise/plot: I imagine a conversation between the real Winchester and Ellsworth, "Why do you always get to time travel and I don't! Next time I'm coming too!!! Just try to stop me!" "Okay, but be careful what you wish for!"

In this third adventure in the Time Spies series, Alex, Mattie, Sophie, Ellsworth and WINCHESTER time travel. Sophie is lately obsessed with a book of fairy tales; one of her favorites being Jack and the Beanstalk. The siblings never expected to travel to a FAIRY TALE. After all, fairy tales aren't real--or so they think. But their preconceived ideas are challenged as they work together to escape the giant, "save" Jack, and MOST IMPORTANTLY of all rescue Winchester.

My thoughts: I really enjoyed books one and two. But I really loved, loved, loved the third book. Not necessarily because of the fairy tale setting but because of Winchester taking a more starring role! I love how it was their following after Winchester that led them UP the beanstalk and into the country of giants. Winchester's mischievous curiosity leads them all into a bit of danger. I also love that a drawing of Winchester appears at every chapter.


© 2020 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: