Monday, July 20, 2020

76. Time Spies: Secret in the Tower

Time Spies: Secret in the Tower. Candice Ransom. Illustrated by Greg Call. 2006. 128 pages. [Source: Review copy] (Lexile 540L)

First sentence: Alex Chapman felt like he was entering a strange new land.

Premise/plot: Alex Chapman and his family have moved to an old house in Virginia--a really, really old house, a house that was there during the American Revolution. He's not happy about the move--at least not at first. But after an incredible adventure with his two sisters--involving time travel--he might just be beginning to change his mind. This time travel adventure takes readers to 1781 and they can "meet" George Washington and Thomas Jefferson (among others). Guest appearances by Ellsworth (the stuffed elephant) and Winchester the cat.

Ransom's former blog starring Winchester and Ellsworth; it's been removed but thanks to the wayback machine I was able to snag this!!!
My thoughts: I love, love, love, love, love, crazy love Candice Ransom. I'll disclose that from the start. My heart filled with joy when I spotted the Winchester and Ellsworth references. As for the time travel, I can't remember a time when I wasn't fascinated with time travel. I would have LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this series as a kid. I'd have worn the covers off and practically memorized them word for word. But I didn't read them as a child. But I can recommend them to your child.


© 2020 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: