Wednesday, May 20, 2020

62. No Ordinary Boy

No Ordinary Boy (Tales from the Round Table). Adapted by Tracey Mayhew. 2020. [September] Sweet Cherry. 96 pages. [Source: Review copy] [j fiction; j fantasy; chapter books]

First sentence: Merlin was no ordinary eight-year old boy. Like a few other children in his village, he had grown up without parents. Unlike the others, his father had been a demon, and his human mother had abandoned him soon after his birth.

Premise/plot: This new chapter book series by Tracey Mayhew hopes to introduce young readers to the legends of Merlin, Arthur, and the Round Table. This first book introduces young readers to the character of Merlin. Merlin is a young boy still. He's still got supernatural gifts--prophecy--but they've not exactly been cultivated...yet.

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one. I don't know that I loved it. But I definitely liked it. I do like Arthurian legends and it seems that retelling the stories for a younger audience could be a good thing.

I would definitely be interested in reading future books in this series. I like to see variety in chapter books.


© 2020 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: