Tuesday, May 5, 2020

58. Family Reminders

Family Reminders. Julie Danneberg. Illustrated by John Shelley. 2009. 112 pages. [Source: Review copy] [historical fiction]

First sentence: "It's going to be a warm one, Mary. An Indian summer day," Daddy said to me as he got up from the kitchen table and slugged down his last gulp of coffee.

Premise/plot: Family Reminders is historical fiction set in Cripple Creek, Colorado, in the 1890s. It is a mining community, and the novel opens with an accident at the mine. Mary's father is injured at the mine. The novel is told through her perspective and captures how this one family moves on from this tragic even. It will be a struggle. But together as a family...they can do anything, right?

My thoughts: I enjoyed learning that it is loosely inspired on the author's grandmother's family. I love historical fiction. I have very fond memories of family vacations in Colorado. I enjoy family stories with a lot of heart and soul. This one was just a perfectly perfect fit for me. I absolutely loved, loved, loved the black and white illustrations by John Shelley. They give the book a charming, old-fashioned feel. 

© 2020 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: