Thursday, February 6, 2020

18. Chrysanthemum

Chrysanthemum. Kevin Henkes. 1991. 32 pages. [Source: Library] [picture books; animal fantasy; school; friendship]

First sentence: The day she was born was the happiest day in her parents’ lives.

Premise/plot: Chrysanthemum loves, loves, loves her name until she starts school and is teased by her classmates. Will Chrysanthemum find a way to love her name again and make a few friends in the process?

My thoughts: I don’t know which Kevin Henkes book is my favorite. There are so many great, timeless stories that he has given readers over the years. Chrysanthemum is a charming character that needs a bit of a confidence boost when she starts school. She is just as lovely and unique as her name.

I recommend this one. I don’t know how many times I’ve read it since it was first published. I am a bit surprised that no one has made an animated series starring a class with all his characters—perhaps minus siblings. I think they all take place in the same world.

Text: 4/5
Illustrations:5/5
Total:9/10
 


© 2020 Becky Laney of Young Readers

1 comment:

Cassandra Gelvin said...

I did like the main character of this book, but was frustrated that very few people empathized with her. My review is at http://www.drttmk.com/books/chrysanthemum.