Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Alma and How She Got Her Name

Alma and How She Got Her Name. Juana Martinez-Neal. 2018. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Alma Sofia Esperanza Jose Pura Candela had a long name--too long, if you asked her. "My name is so long, Daddy. It never fits," Alma said. "Come here," he said. "Let me tell you the story of your name. Then you decide if it fits."

Premise/plot: After Alma hears the story of her name will she change her mind? This picture book celebrates families and individuality. Also storytelling.

My thoughts: I love, love, love the premise of this one. I love the story telling. I love the emphasis on family and belonging. I love the celebration of life.

Alma And How She Got Her Name is a Caldecott Honor book for 2019.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 10 out of 10

© 2019 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: