Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Where's Ellie? A Hide and Seek (Board) Book

Board book: Where's Ellie? A Hide and Seek Book. Salina Yoon. 2012. Random House. 18 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Where is Ellie hiding? Is she behind the plant? No, that's a teapot!

Premise/plot: Ellie (the elephant) is hiding. Can little ones find out where she's hiding in this super adorable board book by Salina Yoon?

My thoughts: I love that the elephant's ear and trunk are tactilely pleasing. There are many reasons why I love this one actually. I love, love, love elephants. Always have, always will. I don't think I'll ever outgrow my desire to have a pet elephant. Hide-and-seek books--with or without flaps--can be great fun to read with little ones. This one does not have flaps. A turn of the page reveals the surprise--was that Ellie? or was it something else? The front cover--and almost all of the pages--do have a cut-out. This cut-out is vital to the game of hide-and-seek. And I think it's also great for little grasping hands.

© 2018 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: