Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Board book: Bow-Wow Hears Things

Board book: Bow-Wow Hears Things. Mark Newgarden. Illustrated by Megan Montague Cash. 2008. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 18 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Honk. No. Splash? No. Tick-tock? No.

Premise/plot: This one stars a little bird and Bow-Wow. It is a simple story doubling as a concept book teaching sounds. (But I think that is a far, far, far stretch of an imagination.) What sound should the bird be making?

My thoughts: This is a STRANGE board book. I've appreciated the other books in the Bow-Wow series. They've been short, simple, even very-very simple. Yet they've been funny too. This one is just bizarre. Of course, I am bringing my adult perspective to it. If I was a toddler would I find the idea of a bird going tick-tock hilarious? Maybe?!

If your little one has enjoyed the other books in the series then this one might be worth it as well. But don't start with this one. It might not be the best one to try out in terms of appeal.
 

© 2018 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: