Thursday, November 29, 2018

Board book: You Are My Magical Unicorn

You Are My Magical Unicorn. Joyce Wan. 2018. Scholastic. 14 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: You are magical my little one. Reach for the stars, the moon, the sun. Chase those rainbows as you may. Don't let fear stand in your way.

Premise/plot: Joyce Wan's newest board book is YOU ARE MY MAGICAL UNICORN. Wan has written and illustrated many board books for little ones. All of them are cutesy and adorable. Her books are a wonderful example of what you see is what you get.

My thoughts: I love, love, love Joyce Wan's YOU ARE MY CUPCAKE. Without a doubt, that book is one of the best board books ever to have been published. I did like this one okay. I thought the illustrations were adorable. And I liked the rhyming fine. It's just that the standard by which I judge all Wan books is YOU ARE MY CUPCAKE. And you can *sing* that one. It's just perfectly, perfect. You can't sing You Are My Magical Unicorn. (Though to be fair, I haven't tried every tune I know.)

© 2018 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: