Thursday, August 9, 2018

Police in Action (Lego City Nonfiction)

Police in Action: A Lego Adventure in the Real World. Penelope Arlon. 2018. Scholastic. 24 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Police officers are always ready for action. Stop, crooks! I've got this! They can't outrun my speedy motorcycle.

Premise/plot: This LEGO City book is part of Lego's nonfiction series. This one is about the police. It blends a nonfiction narrative with dialogue between LEGO minifigures. The nonfiction text is straightforward facts. The dialogue, well, it tends towards silliness and bad jokes. The book does feature photographs as well as illustrations.

My thoughts: I liked it okay. I like the nonfiction bits. I do. I just am not overly crazy about the joking dialogue of the LEGO figures. I think kids might enjoy both. After all, I'm not in the intended age group!

Text: 3 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 6 out of 10

© 2018 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: