Friday, August 24, 2018

A Girl Named Helen

A Girl Named Helen: The True Story of Helen Keller. (Amercian Girl) Bonnie Bader. 2018. [October 9] Scholastic. 48 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Helen Keller became deaf and blind when she was a small child in the 1800s. At that time, not many deaf people learned to communicate. But Helen did. Not many blind people learned to communicate. But Helen did. Helen wrote books, gave speeches, and traveled around the world.

Premise/plot: A Girl Named Helen is an early chapter book biography of Helen Keller. It has seven chapters, a timeline, and a glossary.

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one. I did. I would have loved, loved, loved it as a kid--for two reasons really. I *might* have been a wee bit obsessed with the film adaptations of The Miracle Worker. I might have watched it on VHS a couple dozen times. I *might* have started finger spelling as a hobby. I also was always looking for biographies with illustrations and big print as a kid.

© 2018 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: