Thursday, February 15, 2018

Buster and the Baby

Buster and the Baby. Amy Hest. Illustrated by Polly Dunbar. 2017. [October 24, 2017] Candlewick Press. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Thump, thump, thump. In the little red house, a dog ducks under the table.

Premise/plot: Thus begins one of the most perfectly-perfect picture books I've read this year. Buster and the Baby is a DELIGHTFUL action-packed adventure story. During the day, Buster hides and the baby finds and chases him; he loves it. These two are a perfect pair. But at night, well, she's tucked into bed...and it's his turn to "find" her.

My thoughts: I loved this one. I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, CRAZY-LOVED this one. I loved the characters.  I love the writing. I loved the repetition. I loved the rhythm. I loved the pacing. I loved the JOY.
Out of the shadows she comes. Squealing and whirling and bumping his nose! Go, Buster. Go, Buster. Go, Buster, go! He wriggles behind the chair. Behind the blue chair is a good place to hide. (Maybe). He waits. And watches. And waits some more. Thump, goes his heart. Thump, thump, thump! Then... 
I loved the illustrations as well. Polly Dunbar has illustrated some of my favorite books.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 10 out of 10

© 2018 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: