Monday, February 19, 2018

A Squash and a Squeeze

A Squash and a Squeeze. Julia Donaldson. Illustrated by Axel Scheffler. 1993/2004/2017. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: A little old lady lived all by herself with a table and chairs and a jug on the shelf. A wise old man heard her grumble and grouse, "There's not enough room in my house. Wise old man, won't you help me please? My house is a squash and a squeeze."

Premise/plot: Will the 'little old lady' learn a valuable lesson when she takes advice from the 'wise old man'?!

My thoughts: I really like this one. I remember hearing a similar story on Between the Lions back in the day. I enjoyed the rhythm and rhyme of it.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 8 out of 10


© 2018 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: