Friday, September 29, 2017

Noisy Night

Noisy Night. Mac Barnett. Illustrated by Brian Biggs. 2017. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: What is going La La La above my head? A man is singing opera above my head. What is going ma ma ma above my head? A baby is cooing above my head. What is going baa baa baa above my head? A sheep is speaking above my head.

Premise/plot: There is a LOT going on in this noisy apartment complex. Will any of the residents ever settle down, get quiet, and go to bed?!

My thoughts: I loved this one. (I wasn't sure at first that I would. It took reading it a second time to know for sure.) I liked the pattern of this one. I liked the repetition. I think there's something very satisfying about the structure. I think children could definitely--with a little help and encouragement--be inspired to write their own stories using this structure as inspiration. I really liked getting a sneak peek at what was making the floor above so noisy. The art reminded me of School House Rock. I'm not sure why. It just did. That isn't a bad thing. It just made me want to sing Interjections.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 9 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: