Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Board books: Better Together

Better Together: A Book of Family. Barbara Joose and Anneke Lisberg. Illustrated by Jared Schorr. 2017. Harry N. Abrams. 22 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: One nervous zebra grazes on the plain flicky ticky all alone...? No! A dazzle of zebras uses eyes and ears so the nervous one knows he has nothing to fear. One hungry bat, finally home rumbly tumbly all alone...? No! A cloud of bats soon gather round to share with the hungry one, upside down.

Premise/plot: This board book packs in a LOT of information about animals and families. Each spread begins by showing one "all alone" animal, a lifted flap reveals the animal's family and how they are better together. The book as a whole gives many examples of how families provide and protect one another. Readers meet a dazzle of zebras, a cloud of bats, a murder of crows, a meerkat clan, a town of prairie dogs, and a mischief of rat pups.

My thoughts: I like this one. I do. I don't know if it's "really like" or perhaps "love" but I enjoyed all the information. It wasn't text-heavy either. I think there's just enough information for little ones. I can't say that I personally loved the illustrations, but the text was definitely good.

© 2017 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: