Monday, September 11, 2017

Chicken in Space

Chicken In Space. Adam Lehrhaupt. Illustrated by Sharhar Kober. 2016. HarperCollins. 36 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Zoey wasn't like the other chickens. She had dreams. She had a plan. She had a pig. "Put your hat on, Sam," said Zoey. "We're going to space!" "Before lunch?" asked Sam. "Before pie? Is that a good Idea?" But Zoey was already off.

Premise/plot: Zoey is an ambitious chicken. Zoey wants to go to space, and she wants her best friend, Sam, to go with her. Will their space mission succeed? Maybe. Will Zoey and Sam have lots of fun? Definitely!

My thoughts: Zoey is such a fun character. In just a few short pages, Zoey charmed me. So did Sam. Would Zoey be as much fun as she is without him? I'm not sure! There were so many things to love about this one. I loved that the space ship was really a basket with balloons tied on it. I loved that a baseball flying through the air was an asteroid. I loved that a kite sailing through the air was a comet. It's a fun story.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 9 out of 10
© 2017 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: