Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Board book: This Little Trailblazer

This Little Trailblazer: A Girl Power Primer. Joan Holub. Illustrated by Daniel Roode. 2017. Simon & Schuster. 26 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Paving the way to a future that's bright. Helping the world with their skills, smarts, and might. Little trailblazers cause great big changes.

Premise/plot: This board book introduces little ones to trailblazing women from all walks of life and corners of the world. Readers meet Ada Lovelace, Florence Nightingale, Coco Chanel, Rosa Parks, Maria Tallchief, Wilma Rudolph, Sonia Sotomayor, Ruby Bridges, Maya Lin, and Malala Yousafzai.
Each woman is introduced in rhyme. The next page contains a few more facts.
Coco Chanel
This little trailblazer
became a millionaire
by designing simpler clothes
for women to wear.
Coco Chanel disliked the tight dresses of the 1900s. She created comfortable styles that women still love today.
Rosa Parks
This little trailblazer
caused a big fuss
by not giving up
her seat on the bus.
Rosa Parks's bravery helped change an unfair rule that African Americans could not sit by Caucasians on the bus.
My thoughts: I definitely enjoyed reading this one. I loved the rhymes. I liked the additional facts. I wasn't absolutely wowed by the illustrations. (In fact, I disliked some of the illustrations. The illustration of Coco Chanel bothered me. Her lipstick is so dark that it looks like a black mustache. She looks like Hercules Poirot. I do not think that was the illustrator's intent at all.) But I loved the premise of this one. 


© 2017 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: