Monday, January 5, 2009

How Do I Love You?


How Do I Love You? by Marion Dane Bauer. Illustrated by Caroline Jayne Church. 2009. Scholastic.

I just love this board book. I do. The illustrations by Caroline Jayne Church had me at hello. The little girl, her curly-curl-curls, I just loved her from the get go. This book is a poem. A poem from a parent-to-a-child.

How do I love you?
Let me count the ways.

I love you as the sun
loves the bright blue days.
I love you as the bee
loves a fragrant flower
I love you as the thirsty duck loves a sudden shower.

It goes on, of course, but I wouldn't dream of quoting the whole book to you! I admit that this one might be considered cutesy. And for some folks, cutesy is a place to avoid at all costs. There is such a thing as too cutesy after all. But for me, personally, this one worked.

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: