Friday, August 20, 2010

One Smart Cookie


One Smart Cookie: Bite Size Lessons for the School Years and Beyond. By Amy Krouse Rosenthal. Illustrated by Jane Dyer & Brooke Dyer. 2010. HarperCollins. 40 pages.

This is the FOURTH cookie book. Other titles in the series include: Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons, Christmas Cookies: Bite-Size Holiday Lessons, and Sugar Cookies: Sweet Little Lessons On Love. I did enjoy the first two books in the series. I loved the idea of cookies being the true universal language. I loved seeing the creative definitions of value terms. But I'm not one who sees the necessity of having a cookie book for each and every occasion. (A real cookie, mind you, I could see that as a necessity.) How many different ways can you define words? Sure the words defined aren't exactly the same in each and every cookie book. But. There is enough overlap that I've lost some of my enthusiasm. (I do like this one more than Sugar Cookies).

This cookie book celebrates the start of school.

Prompt means, when it is time to make cookies, we are here and ready on the dot!

Organized means when everything is in its proper place, it's so much easier to make the cookies.

Unorganized means, I put everything away quickly and without thinking last time and now I can't find what I need to make cookies.

Prepared means looking at the cookie recipe ahead of time to make sure you have everything you need.
I still think these books are more for adults than children.

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: