Wednesday, March 4, 2009

1, 2, 3 I can collage!


Luxbacher, Irene. 2009. 1 2 3 I Can Collage! (Starting Art series). Kids Can Press.

This book is part of a series, the Starting Art series. Earlier titles include 1 2 3 I Can Draw, 1 2 3 I Can Paint, 1 2 3 I Can Sculpt. Granted I've only read this title--1 2 3 I Can Collage--but if the other titles are anything like this one, I must say that they'd all be must-haves for the classroom, the library, and the home.

(I think they'd be great to have if you homeschool your children. They might make you feel more comfortable, more confident, in introducing art to your children's day without feeling overwhelmed because you yourself are not an expert.)

We have within the book step-by-step projects. Everything sounds so simple, so straightforward, so direct...and so fun.

I love the note she includes for parents and teachers:

3 Tips to ensure a good collage experience every time
1. Use inexpensive materials and make sure your young artist's clothes and the work area are protected from spills. This way it's all about the fun, not the waste and the mess.
2. Focus on the process rather than the end product. Make sure your young artist is relaxed and having fun with the information instead of expecting perfection every time.
3. Remind your young artist that mistakes are an artist's best friend. The most interesting collage ideas and paper combinations are often discovered by mistake.

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: