Tuesday, January 30, 2024

9. Kitty Feral and the Case of the Marshmellow Monkey


Kitty Feral and the Case of the Marshmallow Monkey. Eddie Muller and Jessica Schmidt. Illustrated by Forrest Burdett. 2023. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: It's not easy being the only cat detective in this town. Ever since I bungled my biggest case, trouble hounds me. 

Premise/plot: Kitty Feral is missing--literally and figuratively--her friend and companion Mitch the Mutt with whom she solves cases. But she's solo on this one. She will be trying to track down what happened to Cora's marshmallow monkey. Can she follow the clues and solve the case? 

My thoughts: I LOVED the atmosphere of this one. The narrative is fun, fun, super-fun. The illustrations are AWESOME. I think adults will probably pick up on things young readers don't. But that isn't all bad, in my opinion. It just means the narrative is layered. I do think it holds up to multiple readings. I caught things the second time around that I didn't the first time. It is very noir. Chances are most young readers will have little to no familiarity with this genre. 

 

© 2024 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: