Tuesday, January 30, 2024

11. I Am Stuck


I Am Stuck. Julia Mills. 2023. [Source: Library] [Picture book]

First sentence: I am stuck. I can't seem to get unstuck. Stuck? Try wiggling your feet.

Premise/plot: Turtle, our protagonist, is stuck. In this picture book, many, many animals come by and see Turtle in his stuck-ness. Each offers advice on how to get unstuck. Advice that tends to be specific to their species, and not particularly generally useful advice to help him. But one animal is different. And that difference makes all the difference in the world...

My thoughts: I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this one. I love Turtle and Possum. I really love the direction this one took. The illustrations were SO cute and adorable. The story isn't necessarily cute and adorable. Though it could be seen that way, I suppose. I think this one could "hit" readers differently.  For some it might be cute. For others it might be funny. For others it may be all too relatable.

 

© 2024 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: